(Click to enlarge box score)
- St. John's got off to a quick lead in this one, with Eugene Lawrence and Larry Wright hitting from beyond the arc. The team ended 8-15 (53 from beyond the arc, and even DJ Kennedy and Paris Horne sunk one each.
- The quick beginning gave way to the freshmen, but they played decently; seemed as though fast break defense is going to be an issue with this team. With Big East games in a month including Louisville, U-Cons, Seton Hall, and Marquette... teams will run the fast break all day long on this team.
- Coker was active, though he had 4 fouls. I'll take the 5 rebounds. Strong rebounding from DJ Kennedy again (9) and from Burrell (11 to go along with his 15 points). Sean Evans scored 4 and pulled down 5 rebounds.
- Sounds like Burrell missed some bunnies - finish hard, big man! Like Walton likes to say. I didn't see them because the game was radio only... Speaking of bunnies, 57% free throw percentage won't cut it. And the turnovers could be improved upon-- 4 by Burrell and 3 by Kennedy, but he lost his handle more often than that.
- Mike Cavataio and the senior walk-ons, Otaja Abit and Liam Biesty both got burn! Only Cavataio scored, and his time on the floor made me think that perhaps he should be redshirted.
- Lawrence passed well, with only a couple over-aggressive flings in his 8 assist, 2 turnover line. Boothe played well but hardly showed up in the box score. Is that like a tree falling in the forest?
- Larry Wright is quickly becoming a favorite. 5-8 shooting, 3-6 from beyond the 3 point arc, 3-4 from the free throw line, 16 points. With 3 steals, 2 assists, and defensive effort. And a chipped tooth.
- The Pioneers got some easy baskets in the second half, and the game was generally sloppy after the blowout first half... but we'll take it. Coach Roberts commented on the transition defense, so hopefully he'll get that sorted.
- Tomas Jasiulionis seemed to hurt his shin in the second half... and never came back. Hope he's okay.