The writers have had their initial say, and from the Big East, only Marquette earned a top-25 vote in the preseason AP Top 25 basketball poll. From the Big East, Creighton received many votes but not enough to overtake Baylor in the top-25. Villanova and Georgetown both received under 20 votes, and 3 voters included St. John's in their ballots.
It's not the top-25, but it's a start, and recognition that the Red Storm have some buzz going into the season.
The season-opening opponent, the Wisconsin Badgers, are #20 in the AP poll and 21 in the Coaches' poll; the Red Storm have just over a week to start proving that they are top-25 caliber.
|1. Kentucky (27)||21-12||1546||—|
|2. Michigan St. (22)||27-9||1543||9|
|3. Louisville (14)||35-5||1501||2|
|4. Duke (2)||30-6||1435||6|
|8. Oklahoma St.||24-9||1093||17|
|11. Ohio St.||29-8||1036||7|
|12. North Carolina||25-11||954||—|
|16. Wichita St.||30-9||512||—|
|21. Notre Dame||25-10||332||23|
|23. New Mexico||29-6||213||10|
More from Rumble In The Garden:
- High expectations - a look at two more St. John's previews
- St. John's second half struggles
- Big East announces hiring of Tom Jernstedt as advisor, FOX Sports unveils Big East broadcasters
- Statheads predict the Big East men's hoops teams
- NHB Podcast: on Obekpa's suspension, Whitehead's trash talk, and the upside of the Rutgers roster