Saturday, January 11, 2014
When: 1:00 PM Eastern
#8/ #10 Villanova Wildcats (14-1, 3-0 Big East) at St. John's (9-5, 0-2 Big East)
Pomeroy Rank: St. John's: 67 | Villanova: 5
Madison Square Garden (Capacity: 19,979)
Where: New York, NY
TV: Fox Sports 1 | Fox Sports Go online
Announcers: Bill Raftery + Gus Johnson
Radio: Bloomberg 1130
Line: 5, Villanova
Well, the Johnnies have a big game in front of them. Villanova is strong and in-sync. But the Red Storm have home on their side - their first Big East game in Madison Square Garden.
While many were disappointed (or in some cases, offended) by last week's loss, keep in mind that 1. it's still January 2. Georgetown has been this roster's kryptonite, tossing aside the Johnnies like so much fluffy snow every time and 3. Steve Lavin is obviously trying to get a message across.
How will JaKarr Sampson (the obvious target) and Rysheed Jordan, Chris Obekpa and the rest respond?
Will we see more Max Hooper?
How will the team stop JayVaughn Pinkston, the mobile Villanova forward from Brooklyn with a jump shot and brute strength? Is the Red Storm's brand of defense - in many ways, more stout and athletic than the defenses of Providence, Butler and Seton Hall - able to change the smooth ways of Jay Wright's Villanova team?
- the whole Villanova roster, with the exception of point guard Tony Chennault and center Daniel Ochefu, will take threes.
- James Bell has been kept below 10 points in three Big East games.
- Dylan Ennis has shot 6/9 from the three in three Big East games.
- Ryan Arcidiacono has shot 5/6 inside the arc, 6/13 outside the arc, and has 5 turnovers in 95 minutes of Big East play.
- Game Preview - Villanova at St. John's in the Garden
- Is it time for Garden magic?
- Pregame, Villanova vs St. John's - Q and A with VU Hoops
- Slow down. Despite St. John's 0-2 Big East start, breathe; it's only January
- May the odds be ever on your favor: college basketball odds of winning a championship
|Rumble in the Garden on Facebook|
|Rumble in the Garden on Tumblr|