If you look at the preseason Big East poll compared to the standings today there are some projections that, as they often do, did not come true.
Hindsight isn't 20-20 but the Big East voters did a pretty solid job while picking the players that would have an impact on the new Big East, unlike their picks of the all-league teams.
A few of these were accurate as the Big East released their first, second and rookie teams on Sunday morning.
D`Angelo Harrison was named to the first team along with Creighton forward Doug McDermott, Providence guard Bryce Cotton and Xavier guard Semaj Christon who were named unanimously. Also added were Markel Starks from Georgetown and James Bell from Villanova.
The preseason Big East first team had Cotton, Starks, Christon, Harrison and Davante Gardner of Marquette - job well done by the voters.
Suspended by head coach Steve Lavin at the end of last year, Harrison has been continually developing as a basketball player and a person. "D'Angelo has put in the work and its paid dividends all season long," St. John's head coach Steve Lavin said. "His performance on the court and leadership of the team has been outstanding. Dee is most deserving of the All-Big East honors," said Lavin.
Harrison was third in the conference in scoring average at 17.6 points/ game.
Jordan, despite having so much going on off the court, still managed to have a good season at point guard for St. John's. "For a freshman, he has exceptional poise, composure, competitive spirit and defensive prowess. He has met difficult challenges both on and off the court with grace and maturity," Lavin stated.
Jordan scored 9.4 points/ game and averaged 4.1 assists per contest.
St. John's had four players named to Big East honors in the pre-season. Junior D`Angelo Harrison was named to the first team, while sophomore Jakarr Sampson got second team honors. Sophomore Chris Obekpa was an honorable mention and Rysheed Jordan was named preseason Rookie of the Year.
St. John's looks to keep their tournament hopes alive in the Big East Tournament when they face Providence on Thursday at 2:30 PM.
ALL-BIG EAST FIRST TEAM
- Doug McDermott Creighton F Sr.
- Markel Starks Georgetown G Sr.
- *Bryce Cotton Providence G Sr.
- D’Angelo Harrison St. John’s G Jr.
- James Bell Villanova G Sr.
- *Semaj Christon Xavier G So.
ALL-BIG EAST SECOND TEAM^
- Kellen Dunham Butler G So.
- D`Vauntes Smith-Rivera Georgetown G So.
- Davante Gardner Marquette F Sr.
- Kadeem Batts Providence F Sr.
- Fuquan Edwin Seton Hall F/G Sr.
- JayVaughn Pinkston Villanova F Jr.
BIG EAST HONORABLE MENTION
- Ethan Wragge Creighton F Sr.
- Ryan Arcidiacono Villanova G So.
- Darrun Hilliard Villanova G Jr.
- Matt Stainbrook Xavier C Jr.
BIG EAST ALL-ROOKIE TEAM^
- Andrew Chrabascz Butler F Fr.
- Billy Garrett Jr. DePaul G Fr.
- Tommy Hamilton IV DePaul F Fr.
- Deonte Burton Marquette F Fr.
- Rysheed Jordan St. John’s G Fr.
- Jaren Sina Seton Hall G Fr.
- Josh Hart Villanova G Fr.
* means unanimous selection ^ means a tie in voting, so an extra position named.
Do you see any snubs in the voting?