clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

St. John’s Soccer Recap: 10/11

It was a weekend to forget for the Red Storm.

Wendell Cruz

It was a lost weekend for St. John’s soccer with both the men and women getting shutout in Big East play. The men fell 2-0 on the road to Xavier on Saturday, while the women dropped their match to Creighton on the road also by the score of 2-0.

The men played well for most of their game, holding the advantage in most offensive categories, but were unable to break through. The Red Storm outshot the Musketeers 12-9 and had eight corner kicks compared to Xavier’s two.

Sophomore Filippo Ricupati and Junior Harry Cooksley, who have been the Johnnies two best players this season, both started the game on the bench to try to give them some extra rest. They both entered in the 25th minute and in the first six minutes of them being in the game, St. John’s had four shots on goal. In the last 20 minutes of the first half, they outshot Xavier 5-0 and had five corner kicks. Despite the dominance from the Johnnies, they were unable to put the ball in the back of the net.

On the other side of the break, Xavier came out firing, grabbing the lead on their first shot on goal of the game.

After having a couple of shots by Cooksley and Simon Tchoukriel go off target, Xavier was able to add another goal in the 70th minute.

The Johnnies did not lie down and quit as they had four shots and two corner kicks in the last 20 minutes, but all their opportunities were turned away by the Musketeer defense.

The Red Storm finish up their non-conference schedule on Tuesday night at Belson Stadium against Loyola Maryland at 7 p.m. It can be streamed on ESPN3 and the WatchESPN app.

The women were coming off a scoreless draw against No. 6/3 Georgetown on Thursday and were hoping to build off its best result against a top-10 team in program history. Unfortunately, they were unable to do so and fell to Creighton 2-0 on Sunday.

Despite outshooting the Bluejays 14-6 and having a 6-2 advantage in corner kicks, they were unable to score while Creighton took advantage of their limited opportunities.

Many Red Storm players recorded shots including three apiece for Morgan Tinari and Lucy Whipp, but nothing was getting past the Creighton goalkeeper Mckenzie Meola.

Tinari had an early opportunity in the fifth minute but was turned away by Meola. In the 34th minute, Whipp had a shot on goal but again it was saved by Meola. On the ensuing counter attack by Creighton, they were able to get past the Johnnies defense and eventually goalie Diana Poulin for the first goal of the game.

The Bluejays added another goal in the 70th minute when Lauren Sullivan got one past Poulin from about eight yards out.

The final 20 minutes was dominated by St. John’s, registering six shots, but were unable to get back in the match.

The Red Storm are back in action on Saturday when they play host to DePaul at 1 p.m. The contest can be streamed on the Big East Digital Network.