The St. John’s men’s soccer team begins its regular season Friday evening when they host the Dragons of Drexel University at Belson Stadium. It is the first-ever matchup between these two schools and the game will be streamed on ESPN3 starting at 8 p.m.
Coming off back-to-back four-win seasons, the Red Storm are looking to improve and make it back to the postseason for the first time since 2013. The team went 4-11-3 (Wins-Losses-Draws) and were outscored 25 to 12 last season.
Some other things to know about this season are:
- The Johnnies return their top two scorers from last season in sophomores Mike Prosuk and Filippo Ricupati. Prosuk scored five goals last season on his way to being unanimously named to the Big East All-Rookie Team, while Ricupati added three goals. Each of them also recorded two assists, which led the team. Prosuk scored five goals last season on his way to being unanimously named to the Big East All-Rookie Team, while Ricupati added three goals. Each of them also recorded two assists, which led the team.
- In three exhibition games, the Red Storm went 1-0-2 in games against Manhattan, Hofstra, and Northwestern. Goals were scored by Prosuk, Ricupati, graduate student Simon Tchoukriel, and Junior Harry Cooksley, a transfer from Division II Limestone College.
- In the Preseason Big East Coaches poll, St. John’s was picked to finish seventh. Creighton and Georgetown, who are both in the preseason top-10, were picked to finish first and second respectively.
- Three teams on the 2016 schedule are in the preseason top-10 of the NSCAA Preseason Coaches Poll, including No. 7 Creighton and No. 10 Georgetown. They also play at No. 6 Syracuse on September 4th.
- There is a strong international flair on the team, with players from England, France, Italy, Norway, Sweden, Haiti, Canada, Finland, and New Zealand.