One of our best has moved on to a new gig. Carmine, who has been excellent in covering games and keeping fans abreast of St. John’s basketball (and other sports!), has an expanding gig at Fansided along with his work on the Torch, so he will be leaving us.
But, despite the presence of excellent writers in Brendan, Katherine, Adam, Kenny, Jack and more, we are also looking to find a new writer or two to step in. (No, it’s not paid. But it will be widely read.)
What we’re looking for:
The Rumble is looking for coverage of all of St. John’s sports. We’re seeking:
- dedicated writers who can work independently, writing objectively, with realism, but holding on to the enthusiasm that keeps us coming back to watch St. John’s.
- writers who can telling the compelling story in sports news with speed, accuracy, and with little bias - whether from behind the scenes at the arena or from home.
- writers who want more writing clips for the future in journalism, want to stretch their skills, or just love starting conversations about sports.
- writers comfortable with managing social media conversations and using those conversations as sparks for stories.
If any of the above applies, we want to hear from you about joining the Rumble in the Garden team. We've been on SB Nation since 2011, and have had a number of strong writers on the team and graduate to cool opportunities. Join the group!
[Need some 70s yacht rock to make you believe It Might Be You? There you go.]
Our strongest candidates will have:
- strong knowledge about St. John’s history along with the recent past.
- strong writing skills.
- the skill to identify news, decide what is important, and know where to locate information (but we will help guide you).
- the will of a self-starter who can work with minimal direction and can edit her or his work in AP style.
- the ability to write in line with our best practices and tone.
- comfort working in a virtual content environment.
- the willingness to fill on with other roles as needed.
Men's basketball writers
We will need a reporter to (possibly) step in to the credentialed role, representing the Rumble and SB Nation well and writing game stories.
Extra points for another who can write analytically about the game, the numbers behind the game, and its schemes.
Basketball recruiting writer
We have some coverage of recruiting, but a writer who can both dig deep and get interviews (like Kenny has) but also keep a weekly update of recruiting happenings would be excellent on the Rumble.
Breaking news writer
The Rumble team handles breaking news as a group. News happens fast, and we want to be the outlet with the smartest but quickest take on the news. Can that be you?
Reach out to us at email@example.com! We want to hear from you! Please send a copy of a writing sample and your reasons for interest. If you don't have a writing sample, consider writing:
- a piece on the St. John’s backcourt in comparison to the rest of the Big East’s backcourts;
- how the team and staff need to improve next season
- the rivalry game St. John’s needs to keep going - and why
We want to hear from you!
- Norman, Editor