clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

St. John’s men’s soccer locks up 2 seed in Big East tournament

The Johnnies look to continue a historic season into the Big East Tournament next week.

Wendell Cruz

St. John’s men’s soccer has wrapped up the season with a 13-3-1 record and 6-2-1 in Big East play. The team is ranked 8th in the United Soccer Coaches Poll and 4th in NCAA RPI as they head into the postseason.

The Johnnies were knocked out of contention for the first seed in the Big East after Georgetown won at home against Creighton on Saturday. The Red Storm locked up the second seed with a win later that day in their home finale against DePaul.

With the #2 seed in the Big East Tournament, the Johnnies headed to Providence to close out their season, but fell. The match marks the 5th straight year that the Johnnies and Friars have met in a season finale, a streak that has handed the Johnnies three losses and a tie so far.

In the final week of the season, Tani Oluwaseyi was the sole Johnny named in the weekly Big East awards. Oluwaseyi was selected to the honor roll for his goal against DePaul, which was his 10th of the season and the most in the Big East.

Last week went as follows...

St. John’s 4, DePaul 2

The Johnnies were able to clinch a first round bye for the Big East tournament with their win against DePaul last Saturday.

The Johnnies had a slow start offensively to the game; they were only able to get 2 shots off in the first 35 minutes of play, both from Tani Oluwaseyi. In the 36th minute, Oluwaseyi was able to send his 3rd shot to the back of the net for his 10th goal of the season. The goal gave the team enough momentum to get four more shots in the last nine minutes of the first half.

In the second half, the Johnnies were able to score three more times to lock up the win.

The first goal came under two minutes into the second half as defenseman Brandon Duarte scored his second goal of the season.

Midfielder Einar Lye followed suit eight minutes later (and two minutes after DePaul’s first goal) with a penalty kick dagger that took the air out of DePaul. Forward Drew Rosen finished the scoring for the Johnnies in the 67th minute with his first goal of the season.

The slow start was also felt by DePaul who, despite four early fouls committed by St. John’s, only mustered one shot over the first half. DePaul was able to pick up the pace in the second half getting off four shots and putting two of them in the net.

Defensively, the Blue Demons weren’t able to execute as well as they had liked due to the foul trouble they found themselves in, particularly the second half.

St. John’s 0, Providence 2

The Johnnies closed out the season with a loss, taking them to 0-4-1 in season finales over the last 5 years.

The Johnnies went full strength after locking up the second seed to try and beat their Achilles heel in the Providence Friars. The team got off only three shots in the first half but held Providence to only two. The half was a defensive battle plagued by good fouls from both teams.

The second half is where the wheels fell off for the Johnnies as Providence scored in the 50th and 78th minutes unanswered by St. John’s. The Friars put eight of nine shots on target in the 2nd half to ensure their victory and 3rd seed in the Big East tournament.

The Johnnies will host a Big East tournament soccer game next week as they host the winner of the Providence and Marquette matchup on Saturday.

If the Johnnies advance, they will be in their first Big East title game since 2008.