St. John’s held its annual Red Storm Tip-Off last Friday night at Carnesecca Arena, introducing Chris Mullin, the new staff, and the nine new St. John's players to the fans for the first time on the court. But the action on the floor was about the present; on the sidelines, St. John's looked to wow recruits as well.
Mullin and his coaching staff hosted several high-level commits and prospects, including:
· Louis King (2018) - 6’6" small forward, Roselle Catholic (Roselle, New Jersey)
· Jahvon Quinerly (2018) - 6’0" point guard, Hudson Catholic High School (Jersey City, New Jersey)
· Andre Rafus (2017) - 6’9" small forward, Roselle Catholic
· Myles Cale (2017) - 6’4" shooting guard, Appoquinimink High School (Middletown, Delaware)
· Jordan Tucker (2017) - 6’7" small forward, Archbishop Stepinac High School (White Plains, New York)
· Atiba Taylor, Jr. (2018) - 6’3" point guard, Pope John XXIII Regional High School (Sparta Township, NJ)
The group also included 2016 commit Shamore Ponds, 6-1 shooting guard out of Thomas Jefferson High School (Brooklyn, NY). Due to traffic, Luther Muhammad (2017, 6'2" shooting guard) and Nazreon Reid (2018, 6'9" power forward) did not make it.
Rafus and Tucker both really enjoyed their visit, according to Adam Zagoria of SNY.
"I would be a starter long as I do what I’m supposed to do," Rafus said. "They are recruiting me to come right in and start."
He added: "I loved the atmosphere and how they treated me there."
BIG EAST foe Seton Hall University is also pursuing the Sports U players Quinerly, Reid, King, Muhammad, and Taylor. An offer was made by the Pirates to the starting five on Wednesday October 21.